Linking up with Jen at Conversion Diary — getting this one in just. under. the. radar.
I’m not one to wish away time, but MAN, this was a doozie of a week.
1. The Hubs has been out of commission for pretty much the entire week, battling….something. He headed out to the Dr’s today which only goes to show how crappy he felt, because I don’t know about your man, but mine doesn’t set foot inside a medical establishment unless a: someone is being born and its his b: someone he has helped bring into this world needs medical assistance around 4am or c: he’s concerned his own deathbed might be imminent. He’s been poked and prodded, and it looks like a nasty virus that just needs to run its course, but they did check for Lyme just in case, but as it is, he seems like he’s feeling better.
Let me put it this way– he made dinner. I told him that I felt really bad about his offering to do so as I took the kids to the park, but he assured me that I had the tougher end of the deal and that he wanted to. He also played a mean game of “Sleeping Queens” with Katie, followed by a chapter or two at bedtime of the Mismantal Chronicles, so I think he’s over the worst of it== Deo Gratias!!!
2. Ben cracks me up. He’s going to be four in a month (ack!!! too soon!!!!) and he’s been asking The Hubs if he’s going to be a big boy now so that he can wear Pull-ups. For some reason, we can’t seem to get through to him that he’s in the enviable position of being three and totally dry, all the time.
Flushing, however, is sometimes the most difficult thing I can ask of him to do.
Then, today, we were discussing his upcoming birthday, and the fact that mine is the following week.
Ben: How old are you?
Me: I’m 36
Ben: Just like Daddy!
Me: Yes, but after my birthday, I’ll be 37.
Ben: Can I be 37 on my birthday, too?
Me: (smiling) No, sweetie, y-
Ben: Please?? Can I please be 37? Please?
Ben: PLEASE, PLEASE??? Can I PLEASE be 37 on my birthday???
Me: Well, in 33 years you can….
Ben: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE????
Me: Okay. You can be 37 on your birthday.
Some things really aren’t worth arguing over.
3. I witnessed some quality over parenting at the park this evening. A young child, pushing the age of 3-ish, committed the cardinal sin of “children playing the wrong way on playground equipment that has one and only one function”:
He was going UP a slide.
Really, I just had to laugh, because his mommy admonished him that what he was doing was “not appropriate”. Really? Not appropriate? Throwing mulch is not appropriate. Pulling your sister’s skirt over her head is not appropriate. Going up a slide is learning how to defy gravity in one of its simplest forms.
Now, as this was going down, my monkeys were climbing the outside of a six-foot high tube slide.
4. I cannot believe I’m saying this, but where has the heat gone?? I don’t need anymore 1000 degree days, but I need at least 90 to hit the pool, and we’ve got a good month of prime pool time ahead of us, and we need to use it. I think I need to just suck it up and go. I do want to start touring some good, new to us playgrounds in the general area, maybe some farm visiting. You know, since its not a gazillion degrees outside. I should count my blessings, but we PAID for pool passes, and I want to use them.
5. I’ve been thinking about aaaaaalllllll that I’ve signed us up for this coming year and…… (sucking in deep, deep lungfulls of air) we’re going to be busy. It waxes and wanes every year, and this is a busy year. I do like busy, so long as the days aren’t so cah ray zie and we’re able to keep on top of the things we have to do along with having good downtime, we’ll be okay. Last minute I ended up signing up to lead the PreK-K group for CCD the same afternoon the other four of my children have CCD, so you know what that means….
6. I’m watching House Hunters International and I’m wondering if being relocated to the Carribian is really the worst thing in the world?
7. And wrapping up the craziness that was this week, I’m hoping (and praying!!!) that we can leave some serious fighting behind. These kids have been at each other’s throats, and after a desperate plea on FB, I think we’re going to do some serious purging around here. I actually cleaned up my (embarrassingly atrocious) room today while the Hubs was out so that he’d have a clean room to relax in (Yeah, I’m the rockstar wife….I wait until he can’t take it anymore to usher the laundry out of our room) as well as the little boys’ room. Girls’ room tomorrow, and the laundry…. Ugh. It will never get done. Hopefully, there will be some sort of improvement, though. One can only hope.
Have a great weekend, y’all!